Friday, March 28, 2014

ABSURD LIFE

2 days before the returning for my 2 days break, I stayed in Tune hotel for one night before moving south in the next day. This hotel was the best hotel during all field works that I have been through. The facility of the hotel was like 5 stars hotel in 2 stars hotel, so everything was smaller in size. Like the bed, bathroom, even the room itself was smaller, but everything was perfect. There were a lot security cameras in each corridor for safety. I mean, I have never been to a 2 stars hotel with a lot of cameras. In previous hotels, I could only find at most were only 9, but this hotel has hundreds. So the security was very good here.

My supervisor booked a room with 2 single beds for me and I stayed with my co-worker. After we get to the room I rested for a while, took a shower and off for dinner. That day was the day when I got the food-poisoned thing. So after the dinner my co-worker and I went to a market to get some drinks. I bought a fresh milk cos I remembered what my mother said if I get food poisoned, I need to drink fresh milk. Then after that we went back to the hotel.

We reached the hotel around 10.30 p.m. and I didn't sleep immediately eventhough I was not feeling very well and feeling dizzy the whole day. I opened my laptop to go online for half an hour then updated the previous post while my co-worker was having a phone call with his GF. Then around 1 a.m. I went for bed.

This is where the interesting part.

The night was so peaceful and quite, the sky was dark covered with millions of pearls made from stars, the room temperature was warm and comfy. That night was so perfect to rest my body until a very loud 3000000 dB knock hit my door. I was still dreaming that time(not sure what dream) and I was not sure about the sound I heard. But time after time, the sound got louder and felt like a real sound. So then I finally woke up and realized that it was actually coming from the human world. I sat on my bed for maybe 2 minutes, trying to gather my soul and remembering who am I, where and why am I here. Suddenly, I heard a male voice said "assalamualaikum"(it is the Islamic way to greet people). Then I realised that it was coming from my door, so I got off the bed, my hand tried to reach the wall because it was so dark, tried to find the switch for the lamp but couldn't find it, so walked towards the door with guidance from the wall. I reached the door's knob, turned it clockwise, pulled the door in and a very bright light from heaven just stroke my eyes.

It was so bright that I turned into chinese for a moment. With these narrow eyelids I tried to observe the condition infront of me. My eyes turned into like iron man's eyes where I could locate any target and know its gender. Then after all the information is gathered, it concluded that there were 6 people standing infront of my door. 4 men 2 women. Then I was like "what is this? Am I famous now?"

Then a man around 160 cm tall stand infront of me and said

"Assalamualaikum, we have been called here, and received a report, that you brought a woman into your room"

I replied

"waalaikumsalam, yes" I wasn't really paying attention coz I just woke up.

Then he said

"yes? So this is true? you brought a women into this room?"

I tried to call back what I said and realised I just said something stupid and could actually brought me into trouble. Suddenly, as a normal person with limited amount of brain capacity and power, my brain stopped working, somehow I couldn't think of anything. After 5 seconds, my brain went back to normal and to calm my self down, with a quick flashback, I tried to remember everything since I got to this hotel. I remembered nothing about bringing a woman into my room, so then I replied

"what? me? no way!"

Then this man saw a movement in one of the beds, pointed his finger and he immediately said with enthusiasm.

"Then who's that sleeping on the bed?"

Then I was like "what? no, no, no, this isn't happening. There is now way I could have done that. I didn't even remember doing it. forgive me God" I was truly shocked and speechless, cos I didn't remember bringing any women into my room. But, would it be that I "unconsciously" called a prosti**** to come? because there was not any women in the group during this fieldwork. But, there is no way I would do that cos I didn't have the money guts to do it. Besides my pants and shirt were still on. I followed the direction of his finger and it was pointing at my co-worker's bed. Then I started thinking. What if, it was my co-worker who brought the girl in. But he already has a GF, so it is impossible. Then my co-worker woke up, didn't know what was happening so he just showed his face up to us, maybe wanting to know what was going on. The man saw my friend's face, looked at him carefully, probably identifying his gender just to make sure that nothing was suspicious. He nodded and said to me

"ohh. okay. But are you sure you did not bring any women into the room?

I just said "nope" and shake my head. He looked convinced, said sorry and then left. Without having much thought I closed the door and went back to bed and slept like a cow til the sun came arise.

Being in fieldwork for 2 weeks straight is not really good for human being even for geologist. We do the same thing everyday with no break. Isolated from the real world and need to deal with rocks everyday are just too much. We start the day at 8 a.m. and go back when there is no sun. We go back, have dinner, sleep and repeat the same thing on the next day. My friend even forgot about the day he was in a few days back. The whether is not so friendly. The sun is happily looking and sending heat as well as UV light to us. I have applied sun block with the maximum 110 SPF and formulated for sport. But it didn't really work. I think they should make a special sun block only for geologist, probably with 1000 SPF. If European people go for 3 weeks field work, they come back european. Because their skin colour don't really change. But if we Asian go for 3 weeks field work, we come back as new species. No body will know where we come from. The skin colour will totally change and don't really match with any human race in this world.

But here are some funny facts(not all but mostly) about geologist. As far as I'm accompanying my friend during this fieldwork, I've realised that there are several differences between a normal person (not geologist) and a true geologist. This my friend is a real and true geologist, he sees a rock, he knows what the rock is and tells the rock's story for one day. He is an expert in his field. So these are some lists based on my observation and research studies of what happened during the last 18 days.


1. Questions when come to a foreign country

Normal people: What is the most interesting place here? What is the traditional food here?

True geologist: How old is the oldest rock in the country? what is the parent rock here?


2. Things they bring when travel

Normal people: Cloths, caps/hats, glasses, watches, money, pens, notebook, maps.

True geologist: Double what normal people bring (except watches), geological compass, hammer, hand lens.


3. Things they say when see an outcrop (exposed rocks) during travel (in a van)

Normal people: woah, very big rocks out there, better don't get too close, they may fall off (van drives away)

True geologist: Let me out of this van!! Let me out!! Let me out!! (van drives away)


4.Checking out the map

Normal people: Wow this place looks interesting, looks like there are lots of shops. We can buy souvenirs there.

True geologist: Wow this looks like a mine here. We can collect samples there.


5. See an outcrop in a restricted area

Normal people: We need to stay away from here. They probably plan some mining here with some explosions. It could be dangerous.

True geologist: Quick think fast, we need to get inside. No one is looking, get a sample quickly.


6. Discussion before sleep

Normal people: Today I've been to this place, it was good and bla bla bla. Very interesting and tiring day, what a day, love it.

True geologist: I saw some good outcrops along the way here, we should check them out tomorrow. 8 am sharp we leave.


Lesson of life can be acquired anywhere such us from family, friends or even from someone you just met. It does not really matter who tells you about it, how old the person is or where they come from. As long as they teach you to be a better person, then it's fine. All you need to do is only listen, open your heart and think. Don't let your ego controls you. I met this person few weeks back during this fieldwork and just got a very good lesson from him.

It was around 3 p.m. this guy and I were just going to look for another outcrop for his research purposes by car. Then when we about to make a turn in a junction, a car just suddenly cut our way and went on like nothing happen. We almost hit on another car because of this, but luckily my friend has a very quick response and did what he had to do. He then started saying something in his own language and I was just sitting in my seat, completely stunned after what just happened.

Once the condition was normal again he told me that people nowadays should not behave and do things like that. They have been thought in school, know good and bad, but why does this kind of attitude still around? It is not because they are ignorant but it's just because they are not well educated. Not many people are well educated eventhough they have a lot of knowledge. So knowledgeable does not mean well educated. Then I started thinking that what he was saying is actually true. People know that they have to throw their thrash into the thrash can, but instead they throw their thrash everywhere. As the result flood everywhere. People know smoking is bad, but they're still doing it(sorry smokers). This guy is an atheist, where he does not believe in God or things like that, but he has the sense of awareness(not sure what I'm saying) even more than some of the religious or educated people I know. Well I'm not sure his true attitude, but from the way he treats people and drives a car, I can say he is a "good person".

Funny sayings "There are many ways to achieve your dreams, one of them is sleep"

No comments: